Everything to know about Sennelier Oil Pastels
Before you buy your next set of oil pastels, please read everything in this article.
When it comes to exploring the vibrant and dynamic medium of oil pastels, Sennelier is a brand that consistently stands out. With a variety of sets ranging from a compact 12-count box to a full collection of 120 colors, there are options for artists of all skill levels.
In other words, if you want to truly explore and discover all that the medium has to offer, you at least need to try Sennelier!
What qualities make Sennelier Oil Pastels so great?
Sennelier makes the ideal oil pastel. As an oil pastels artist, I have been using Sennelier oil pastels almost ever since I discovered them. But what makes them so special and so unique?
The following is a list of reasons to use Sennelier Oil Pastels:
- Creamy and soft texture: Unlike the cheaper oil pastels that feel more like hard wax crayons, Sennelier oil pastels are so smooth and buttery, ensuring ease of application and blending.
- Effortless glide: The soft texture of Sennelier oil pastels allows them to glide easily across various surfaces, which contributes to making your creative process enjoyable and hassle-free.
- Excellent blendability: Sennelier oil pastels are perfect for blending and layering, allowing you to achieve a range of artistic effects and styles.
- Vibrant colors: These oil pastels have vibrant, lustrous and brilliant colors, ensuring your oil pastels art grabs attention and makes a lasting impression.
- Rich pigment content: Sennelier is a brand that doesn’t cut corners. Their oil pastels have a high concentration of pigment in their oil pastels, resulting in exceptional saturation and intensity.
The only drawback to Sennelier would be the expense of them. But that is true of any artist-quality medium, whether that is in painting or drawing or using other mediums like soft pastels.
You get what you pay for. The extra cost of Sennelier is worth it. The rich pigmentation and superior performance of these oil pastels really makes them worth the investment.
The lesser quality brands don’t provide the same pigment in the medium, and so you aren’t going to get the same quality artwork as a result. Drawings with Sennelier with be more vibrant and have more brilliant colors.
There are plenty of other brands to choose from, and there really is no “best” oil pastels. What it comes down to the most is personal preference. Ultimately, when you select an oil pastel brand it depends on individual preferences and your own artistic goals.
For artists seeking outstanding quality, brilliant colors, and improved ease of use over others, Sennelier Oil Pastels is my top choice.
For further reading have a look at my Oil Pastels Brand Comparison or my Beginner’s Guide to Oil Pastels.
Follow my page on Facebook: Facebook.com/OilPastelsArtist